[How To is a recurring feature in which we demonstrate techniques designed to improve your game, and make your skill set more than a little bit awesome. This time out, we’ll help you beat Limbo’s spider boss.]
Limbo (available on PC, XBLA, and iPhone) is a game filled with eerie and, at times, disturbing imagery that makes you just a wee bit hesitant in pushing forward into the unknown. For many gamers entering its dark world, the first encounter with these emotions comes with the battle with the monstrous spider boss.
This nightmarish battle preys upon all that humanity fears: isolation, darkness, helplessness, and large arachnids. But should you keep your wits about you and manage to avoid a skewering by the beast’s sharp legs, you can defeat Limbo‘s spider boss with ease. Here’s how to do it.
1. As you approach the spider boss, you’ll notice a bear trap resting on a tree branch. This is not an arbitrary move on Playdead Studios’ part; this bear trap is your key to victory. The hard part? Getting it down.
2. Before the spider boss reveals itself a white butterfly will flutter away. This is not only acts as a warning that a world if hurt is approaching, but showcases that objects in the environment react to the spider bosss’ presence.
3. You need to coax the spider boss to strike at you. This not very hard. What you need to do is have it strike and miss so that it’s leg taps the ground. This may be hard.
4. Return to the tree. The bear trap will have fallen out of it. You have your weapon.
5. Push it toward the spider boss. Strategically place the bear trap on a place on the ground within the spider boss’ striking range. When the spider boss rears its legs to strike, quickly drag the bear trap to where it’s leg will hit the ground. The spider will strike the trap, damaging itself.
6. Repeat until you claim victoly. Or have you…?
Nope. Check out to really kill Limbo’s spider boss.