Editor-in-Chief Jeffrey Wilson, Features Editor Gabriel Zamora, special PCMag.com guest Will Greenwald, and I discuss the SEGA Mega Drive a.k.a. the SEGA Genesis in honor of its 25th Anniversary this year. The talking points are not limited to, but include:
- SEGA’s 90s-era marketing
- Top 10 SEGA Mega Drive games you should play (plus several more)
- The sports game revolution, furry mascots and 90s multiplatform games
- The birth of the Console War
- Sonic the Hedgehog, of course
A correction: I meant Peter Moore, currently of South Park and EA fame, not Bernie Stolar as the one who moved from SEGA to Microsoft to work on Xbox. Stolar was notable for moving from Sony, where he limited the amount of 2D games and RPGs released on the PSOne, to SEGA where he competitively priced the Dreamcast.
Let us know your thoughts on the episode in the comments below, and please take the time to write a quick review of the show in iTunes!
And as always, we’d love any helpful criticism and suggestions for future topics.
- 0:00 - 1:37:56 – All our topics are up there!
Follow the entire crew on Twitter to suggest topics and leave feedback!
- Jeffrey L. Wilson – @jeffreylwilson
- Tim Torres – @pleasedtomeetya
- Tatjana Vejnovic – @digital_vix3n
- Gabriel Zamora – @dracozombie
- Eric Guzman – @eric2dx
- 2D-X – @2dx
- Terry Lewis – @valkor
- Sean-Paul Adams – @digispa
- Isaac Rouse – @jokermanuno
- Johnathan Gibbs – @blasianFMA
- Will Greenwald – @aggrogate
Our intro music comes courtesy of Play on Loop! Thanks, guys!
Other music used this episode comes from Sonic the Hedgehog 3, X-Men, Streets of Rage II, Shinobi III, Snatcher and Rocket Knight Adventures.